Smarter trade. Better lives.
As a new world takes shape, DP World enables smarter trade and improves lives. Our modern, strategically positioned marine terminals and logistics parks have the speed, reliability and reach to ensure your cargo gets to where it needs to be – but what sets us apart is our team of experts with our unceasing commitment to innovation. The world is changing at an unparalleled pace and we are growing to meet its needs. With more capacity coming online we are ready for the future. We trade smarter.
DP World Canada
Ideally positioned for global trade, we act as a key gateway for trans-Pacific trade between Asia and Canadian markets, as well as beyond to the US. Our central location is a multi-transport hub which offers excellent intermodal connections via two rail networks, CN Rail and CP Rail, as well as direct road links.
With a global reputation built on nearly a century of experience, DP World Canada also provides stevedoring services at ports and terminals throughout British Columbia. Our world-renowned professionals provide safe, innovative, and unsurpassed cargo handling trusted by top manufacturers around the world. We handle a wide range of cargoes such as breakbulk, yachts, roll-on roll-off and forest products. We are your global leader in container handling services.
What We Offer
Joining DP World Canada means joining a people-oriented company. You will be amongst great colleagues, enjoying a relaxed environment that values your contributions. We pride ourselves on our openness, approachability, excellence in safety and customer service and our commitment to growth and innovation. We also offer top-notch benefits and perks, including an extensive extended health benefits plan, lifestyle spending account, pension with employer contributions, retirement savings plan, and support for professional development. On top of that, we realize it takes world-class people to run world-class operations so we offer competitive total compensation packages.
The Superintendent is responsible for the day to day organization of the container terminal and the management of the shift team in the execution of operational plans. The Superintendent manages employees, contractors, visitors and processes, adhering to safety and operating policies and procedures to ensure the smooth running of operations and equipment and meet customer and business requirements.
In this role, you will:
- Ensure that the operational requirements of the working shift are fully met in an efficient and safe manner in accordance with current safety regulations and health and safety policies.
- Oversee the overall efficiency of cargo handling operations, including co-ordinating the various activities of different staff groups to maximize the efficient deployment of labour and resources.
- Enable the best possible level of communications within the shift team.
- Manage personnel, including hiring, training, discipline and off-boarding, to ensure that the Company’s needs and requirements are adhered to.
- Ensure that systems and procedures are followed to enable the progress of operations to be monitored by other staff, customers and authorities.
- Drive a performance management culture within the team ensuring that staff meet their targets in line with the business needs.
- Advance agreed upon initiatives, propose new initiatives and adopt a sense of continuous improvement.
What you bring to the role:
- A degree in business, operational management, logistics or other related discipline.
- Previous experience in waterfront supervision or other related operational experience preferred.
- A positive, hands on approach and the ability to work as a team member.
- Excellent people management skills with well-formed motivational skills, including solid negotiation, influencing, change management and labour relations skills.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build and maintain good working relationships and achieve buy in and ownership to quality standards/ initiatives with all departments and levels.
- Sound judgement and analytical thinking that enables decision making, ability to manage projects and prioritize and manage timelines.
- Comprehensive understanding of ship loading operations, vessel construction, cargo stowage, cargo securing and applicable regulations.
- Solid computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office and the proven ability to learn new systems quickly.
- Flexibility to meet the requirements of a 24/7 operation, including shift work.
- Previous Canadian work experience or experience working directly with Canadian industries.
- Fluent in English.
No phone calls or agencies please. DP World Canada is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview, testing and pre-employment medical examination. To be eligible for hire, you must be legally entitled to work in Canada and must successfully obtain Transport Canada Security Clearance.
If you are looking for a dynamic work environment, competitive employment conditions and an opportunity to test your abilities, we invite you to blend your talent with our know-how and join the DP World team.
Deadline to apply is July 4th, 2022 at 3 pm PST.
Your application was submitted successfully.